Monday, April 26, 2010

I am so glad for His company.

He is "mine" for such a short period of time. 24 hours. A Sunday.
I pick him up at his house. He is showered except for the top of his head - a place that rarely
meets the spray of shower water much less shampoo, yet he is sparklingly clean to me.
He smiles a bagel and cream cheese smile and we head down the steps together.
We are going north to my mother's to do spring yard work on this cool and drizzly day.
I am glad for his company.

Billy greets us. My oldest son, forty years old and "Uncle Bill" to this
boy at my side.
Uncle Bill cooks breakfast; bacon, one of Axel's few favorite foods, and we
chat with my mother and my Aunt Nancy, both in their 80's, hard of
hearing and easily riled with the mis-perceived comments, but fun too.
Natalie Bird, 2, and Elizabeth her mother, my daughter, arrive just as
the eggs are put on the table. My cousin and his daughter are there
also- it is a full house.

A full morning of yard work behind us, we head back south, stopping
along the way to try to find a few needed items without much success.
Except for Oreo's and coffee, we find those and so we are all happy on
the ride home.
Once settled in the door, Axel plays with Legos and I iron. A few hours later we
head out again, this time for a movie and a few groceries.
Approaching the video store we look to our left and there is a cloud of
fog hovering just above the bright green spring grass. it is like a
cookie sheet of thin white smoke resting on nothing; not touching the
sky or the earth.
We glance up and Axel says - "Gramma Bevy, look at the children's
moon." A 3/4 full muted yellow disc shining down on the clouds, floats just inches
above the horizon.

When we come out of the store, movie in hand, the parking lot is
shrouded in fog. Dusk has settled, the moon is hidden in cloud
casting a silvery grey light all around us. We are alone in our own
little bubble of it. I am so very glad for his company.

The words of God are sure and that which is holy and true becomes wind
at my back. The Lord governs all things. From all time without
measure, He reigns. He reigns over all - even the waters that rise,
the waves that storm. The Lord rules over the song of many waters and
is more powerful than the mighty waves of the sea. Psalm 93 1-3 paraPhrase by mary anne radmacher

And us. He reigns over us. In sunshine and in shadow. He reigns.
He reigns in the fog, and in the smile of this young man, He reigns.
I am so glad we have His company.



No comments:

Post a Comment