Sunday, January 10, 2010

Oh Tannenbaum, Oh Tannenbaum

My Christmas tree this year was truly beautiful. Full, well proportioned, just the right size for my living room and to hold my particular assortment of ornaments. The best Christmas tree ever!
I am usually late getting a tree up, but this year it went up mid December. I always keep a tree up until Epiphany, so I have had lots of time to enjoy it though I rarely went to sit by it once Christmas had past. So, it came as a bit of a surprise when I went by the living room last night and heard a little shower of needles falling to the floor. You know the sound, it is unmistakable sort of a cross between a crinkle and a tinkle that makes your heart sink and your quilt flourish as you realize that you have not watered the dang thing in days - maybe weeks. As I took a closer look I laughed out loud. During my neglect a huge pile of green needles had covered the red felt Christmas tree skirt and mountained on my beautiful hardwood floor. I had to cave, long enough is long enough; time for the tree to make an exit.

As I took each ornament off the branches, more needles fell like green ice cream sprinkles with sound effects. When I was done and the decorations were snuggled into safe keeping, I got a pair of thick mens work gloves. I grabbed a hold of the tree trunk and shook it back and forth rocking the tree in it's stand just to see if all the needles would fall. They did! I felt a childlike delight as the already impressive pile grew bigger and bigger and the sound effects grew to a crescendo. There was no need to get the sheet that I usually wrap the tree in to avoid a trail of green, this tree would leave no path in it's wake.

I dragged the carcass to the front porch and closed the door behind me shutting out an arctic, icy blast. Most years I take a good look at the tree in daylight to retrieve any hidden ornaments but this year I would have to sift through the green mountain waiting to be gathered up.

Instead of a broom, I got my dust pan and started to shovel up the debris. I filled first one and then another waste basket with needles that weighed almost nothing. I tried to think of a clever use for this waste but alas, no good thing came to mind. I am sure in past centuries it would have been sown into a pillow or brewed into a poultice, but I went out into the night and dumped the two containers on the dog doolie area of the back yard. HA! I thought, A Christmas tree that keeps on giving.

I was almost embarrassed this morning to undo the tree stand and display my spoils to the community. It screams of neglect and fire hazard. I only hope my insurance man or the fire chief do not drive by.

I look at the empty space in my living room and, again, I laugh thinking; I need a " coming soon" sign while I consider how to feng shui my way into the new year.

Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment