Monday, December 21, 2009

The moment of UGHHHHHHHHHHH

It wasn't what I thought it would be; this day of advent days. I have had several tugs in unexpected directions the last few weeks and have left shopping to the end. My tree is up, beautifully decorated and the needles are falling at an alarming rate, but in the absence of an earthquake - it will last. My nativities are carefully placed all over the house, the red and green table linens are readied, the cranberry relish is sweetening itself in the fridge and the star is hung on the porch. My house and my heart are ready for Christmas but, I have no presents to give. So, today was the day.

I was actually looking forward to it. I am not a shopper, but I had all the right ingredients for this day of choosing gifts to go perfectly AND, the weather had held. We did not get the expected Nor'easter and the sun was shining brightly on this shortest day of the year. I had to get a few non holiday related details tended to first, but I expected to be in the shoppes by noon. HA HA HA to HO HO HO!

The phone rang and rang and loose ends were unraveling instead of being tied up, but still, my mood held. The day was young. I would be out of the house by noon. I just had to stop at the post office, the bank and the dry cleaner and stop at the hospital to help a friend in need, then I could shop. No Problem. It was four o'clock when I entered the first store. FOUR O'CLOCK, and still I was smiling. Everything I had done all day long, I had done joyfully, and now, I would shop with glee.

Eight hours later, bags and boxes unloaded from the car, garbage out for pick up, recycling sorted, dogs watered and walked, I finally headed to bed. And then, I remembered and the smile was gone. My warm and wonderful king size bed, was unmade. The sheets were in the dryer. UGHHHHHHHHHH.

No comments:

Post a Comment