Saturday, November 28, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me

Tomorrow I will turn 59.
I have liked every age I have been better than any age I was before it. I expect to like being 59.

Birthdays are very traditional at our house - even mine.
The birthday person - what a boring phrase that is - chooses the meal, the cake, the party venue. Tomorrow my daughters have agreed to come to town and walk through all the shops with me. It is amazing how easy it is to live in a smallish town and not have any idea what is behind the store windows.

There is a new shop called ZIZI's - I don't know what they sell.
There is a little place on main street that seems to be a hand me down clothing shop. We love those though this one looks to have an eclectic assortment of campy outfits for girly girls far younger than I. Still, it will be fun to look.

There is a building being refurbished that will host a new fancy restaurant. I am looking forward to that. The other night I saw a cat perched on the ledge outside of the second story window there. He/she was purring- content just watching the world go by. I wondered how many people noticed.

Of course we have our favorite places to go. We have a local bookstore - hooray for that!
I am not an "antiquer" but I have a favorite antique shop where I love to look at the old tablecloths. There is also a shop that recently changed hands that has truly fabulous granddarling gifts that I love to pick up and turn over in my hands. I will never be able to afford them, but the pleasure of looking and touching is worth it.

I was disappointed last night to drive into town and discover that they had decorated with polaroid blue lights instead of the traditional white ones, but alas, no one had asked me my opinion. It gives town a surreal look to me. Oh well, Santa will come all the same.

I always want it to snow on my birthday. It used to, but not so often any more. If it isn't going to snow, I would like it to be sunny and warm, I wish "birthday persons" could order whatever weather they wanted to be served with their dinner and dessert, but alas, no one will ask my opinion about that either. LOL

After our walk we will come home and cook together just like we did for Thanksgiving. I love being in the kitchen with my family. My mother and Aunt will come and we will go get my mother in law. How blessed I am at almost 59 to have a mother, an aunt and a mother in law all who can join me in celebrating my birthday.

I share a birthday with Louisa May Alcott and Madeline L'Engel; both writers. I find that inspiring.

I am looking forward to my birthday. I expect to really enjoy being 59. Happy Birthday to Me.

2 comments:

  1. Happy happy birthday! A great way to keep Thanksgiving going! More celebrations, more thanks! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete